Workshop VTI Torhout
At least once a year a session concerning embedded devices is organized for high-school students. This time the topic was LoRaWAN and sensoring devices.
The workshop gave an introduction into wireless communication using LoRaWAN. The Sodaq ExpLoRer - an Arduino compatible development board - was used to connect all kinds of Grove sensors. Ranging from temperature sensors to capacitive touch sensors.
The workshop build up to the final goal of realizing a dashboard that displayed the sensor value of the student. A gradual approach was used using the following steps:
- Setup the Arduino IDE for SODAQ ExpLoRer
- Read out a Grove sensor (student were free to choose)
- Transmitting the sensor values via LoRaWAN
- Setting up an application at the Things Network
- Capturing the data using Node-RED and making it available through a local MQTT broker
- Building a custom dashboard
- Setting up a Webserver on the Raspberry Pi
The workshop was attended by 15 students and 2 teachers of VTI Torhout.
All information can be found at lorawan-workshop.99bugs.be.